So the weather has cooled and the asphalt plants are closing down. As we know actual construction projects for the most part are wrapping up for the season. Time to slow down and take it easy for the holidays? Well maybe not.
Now is the time to….
- Get your project initiated so that you can get through the contract, and environmental phases before it gets warm again.
- Review your available Federal Funds balances. Do you have any left over funds for a small project?
- What needs will you have this coming year? Now is the time to work with TDOT and see if they can fund Safety, or State Industrial Road (SIA) projects.
- Review your current and ongoing projects to see where they stand and why.
- Meet with your TDOT pre-qualified consultant to find out about other funding sources, and debrief on the projects you completed this year.
- Review the City Master Plan if you have one. How well are you moving forward with its goals? If you don’t have a Master Plan, it might be worth the time to talk with someone about developing one.
In short now is time to do the hard work of lining things up so that construction can begin again when it gets warm. This is the same advice I gave last year here https://localprograms.wordpress.com/2010/10/21/when-to-start-your-project/ but it is still the case this year. No rest for the weary!